Atom 4 - Pre Spec/Order Discussion

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
Anon

Re: Atom 4

Post by Anon » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:31 pm

markwetherall wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:41 am I am one of the lucky ones and should get mine in Feb or March. Really interested to find out what options there will be for it. I am definitely going for the AP Racing brake upgrade. Wont be spending 10k on a set of wheels as I think there will be lots of other goodies to spend the money on. Unfortunately not a lot coming from the factory yet other than they should have a car to test drive next month sometime and also the pricelist which I think everyone will be interested in seeing. From what I see from all the pictures it certainly looks a much more modern and sleeker. Please keep the pictures and info coming. I will let everyone know what the car is like as soon as I can get a drive in one. I did 20k miles in 3 years in my last one and have been without an atom for 3 years now so looking forward to getting back behind a wheel of one.
I don't think spending £10k on wheels is worth it either, assuming £10k is what these carbon wheels will cost - we will know once the options have been released. I do like the stock big allow wheels power coated black. I will go for the big brakes, for track work you need them. I only hope a racing gear box will not cost ~£22k if comparing and wanting to compete against the Caterham 620R, then it should be a lot less than £22k.

Feb March seems early for this car, I was told production won't start until Dec. When did you order? I ordered mine in Oct.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:08 pm

I am based in Jersey. I tend to do about 4-6 track days in France and the UK but I always drive to the circuits so normally 300-400 mile round trip. I am not a heavy track driver but the largest brake option is a must as a huge amount of the fun in the atom was breaking so late and the forces that the breaking makes, more so than the power sometimes. For me the added traction control on the 4 is brilliant as you can turn it right up when just driving on the roads for added safety. I have been caught out a couple of times on roundabouts in France.

markwetherall

Post by markwetherall » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:18 pm

I ordered mine in July 2017. I was hoping the Atom 4 would have been out at Easter 2018 and I have a September delivery date. They didn't release the car until July so I should be getting mine first Qtr 2019 when they start building them. Really looking forward to it, just hope the waste gate noise doesn't ruin it as everything else was what I was hoping for with the Atom 4. It has been a long long wait and now just have to wait for a few more months. So far I will be doing 2 days at Spa, a tour of the Normandy Beaches, 2 days at Fay De Bretagne (1Km back Straight is always fun), Fontenay Le Compe and also Castle Combe. So that's at least 6 track days and about 3-4k miles without anything else like weekends to Brittany just for the sake of it. UK driving is no fun nowadays, too much traffic and too many speed cameras.

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 am

I put my monies down in September.

I am just waiting for the spec sheet and build numbers / dates.

Ariel have stated deliveries start in "Spring 2019" (which google tells me is formally March to June) according to the press release.

This is the goal without delays, and who knows but something is bound to slip a little.

I am hoping to get mine in April/May. From what Tom said when i paid i am not the first but not far down the list.
Atom 4, Clio v6, & some other cars obviously.

IanG

Post by IanG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:28 pm

That's what you think :roflp:

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:05 pm

irg100 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:28 pm That's what you think :roflp:
That's what he said then.... who knows now. Probably last in the queue. ::) ;)

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:41 am

Ok, so I appear to be one of the first people outside of the factory to have had a test drive in the 4. I didn't drive it, I was sat beside Ariel's development driver (Will). I can give you a few initial impressions of the car but there won't be much of a wait before all the various journalists at Autocar, PH, Top Gear, EVO etc do the same, since they're taking it in turn right now, having a car to test themselves.

To the naked eye it's clearly similar to any other Atom but, as I'm sure you're all aware by now, there are less than a handful of components carried over from the previous iteration. It's an Atom - of course - but just beefier. The front is bigger/ fuller - or less narrow, however you want to describe it. The tubing is fatter/ thicker. The rear deck is wider. The engine is (much) bigger. The fuel tank's on the other side. There's more room inside. Everything about it has changed - it seems that way. At least before you head off, that is....for this is very much a car greater than the sum of its parts, when it comes to changes over the 3.5.

The version I was pedalled in was a basic car. So, no big brakes. No fancy suspension. No CF boots. No engine upgrades. No additional aero. This version is going to cost around 40k.

It's worth pointing out that Will "can peddle". He's put 5k miles under the car we were in, since Jan. Fair to say it's well worn in. The first thing you notice is the ride. It's definitely more supple, more composed & more comfortable overall. You also notice the curious whistles going on behind your ear from the engine; they are a constant feature, whether you're pressing on or otherwise. A notable feature of the new engine (other than the sheer size of it) is the boost control settings. I think there's 4 (but it might only be 3). In quiet mode, it drives like an NA. Turn the boost up & it's a different story.

Ok, so it's worth stipulating here something about just how quick this car is. I'll have a go, anyway.

Put it this way: this thing will obliterate a 3.5R on the road. On track as well, I'd have thought (though obviously I can't verify for that). This is the bog standard 40k car, remember. I think a 3.5R is a 60+k car? The 4 is on a different level of quickness. If I say it's like night & day, you'll all probably - much like I did - shale your head, scratch your chins & mutter "wotevs" or "really?" under your breath. But, believe me, it is. It is SO BLOODY FAST, it's unreal. Added to that, is the composed way it steers/ grips through bends. As I say, Will can drive, but some of the speeds he was cornering at around the villages were nuts. On a totally different level to the 3.5 SC i had until recently.

It's like two cars in one, in essence. And this is before it gets the bigger brakes (AP, this time, not Alcons), the lighter wheels (there shall be a version made that sits in between the basic wheels & the CF ones), the Ohlins (about to go into development), the aero (MUCH more down force that previously & full width across the front, full "sides" down the back & any engine upgrade.

It'll be interesting to see how the scribes react to it.

Fire away with questions. I might be able to remember a few more bits about it, yet.

Cheers,
Hedge

Peter255

Post by Peter255 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks for the write up. :tu:

Good to hear. I am not surprised the mid range on the road is impressive. Turbo mid-range is always great for the road. 8)

I suspect on track (at high revs) the additional power and weight advantage of a 3.5 R would be telling but who knows if the turbo torque and flexibility is still enough!

Exciting times. :vroom:

I am eagerly awaiting the spec sheet and more info on go faster upgrades. >:D

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:09 pm

As has always been the case, more power etc is really only required for track work. That ain't gonna stop track-shy punters from ticking all the boxes anyway, though.

I'm reasonably sure it'll out handle a 3.5 on the track but let's wait & see.

Cheers,
Hedge

Som

Post by Som » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:10 pm

Thanks Hedge.
Had been checking my phone all day for this:).
Very excited by your review.
Also a bit worried about it being too quick to be enjoyed away from track.
How does the sound compare to the 3.5R? Is it loud on low revs? Is there exhaust noise mostly? Will there be a sports exhaust?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:28 pm

Well, true to form, it sounds as if the factory got it right. They are good at that!
Tom's assertion that a basic 4 will blow away a normal 3.5 sounds like he knew what he was talking about...
Not sure I'd agree that more power is only needed on track though. Really interested to read what the press have to say.

Thanks for that Hedge, I wonder why prospective customers still can't drive it, did they say?

Alan

GraemeW

Post by GraemeW » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:36 pm

I was told last week that it was an insurance issue that prevented test drives. For now that is.

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:46 pm

And I was down about a month ago and was told they had two cars. Would you entrust one to Hedge? Inexperienced Ariel driver like that...
😉

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:18 pm

It's pretty quiet, I'd say - certainly next to a charged car. The SC whine has been replaced by a whole lot of other noises; whistles/ pops etc. Makes a nice growl from the exhaust as you open the taps up. The car the journos have has a sports exhaust on it, I believe, which is basically an empty box. I heard that at idle a few weeks ago. Quiet, it ain't. Not sure how track friendly that version would be.

Yes, it's an insurance issue re the test drives. If you want to drive one you'd need to arrange your own insurance now, I guess. As for me driving one, well, I'd have been ok in it I think - as long as I'd started off on a lower boost setting, though. It's still not what you'd call exactly pedestrian at that lower level, however. I think it's pushing out about 250 bhp, then. It would take a while to get used to the full fat version, though.

Seems absurd to say, but even given the entry-level spec brakes/ suspension etc, you can easily imagine it could handle a lot more power.

Cheers,
Hedge

Som

Post by Som » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:23 pm

Thanks Hedge.
Hopefully a few YouTube bloggers and car mags will put some media out there to give more idea of the experience.
If it's as quick as you say, in inexperienced hands it might turn out to be the the Lamppost edition!
Can't wait.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk