Atom 4 - Pre Spec/Order Discussion

Feel free to talk about all things Atom in this board.
phil4

Re: Atom 4

Post by phil4 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

And for anyone wondering how it sounds:

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:00 pm

Richard Marler wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:47 pm
Looking forward to rejoining the fold (my forum joined date makes me feel very old). Can we book Spa for 2019?
Haha, you and me both!

Spa is definitely going to be a go for 2019, probably May/June time. We had a really good trip out there with a number of the guys this year and hopefully we will all be able to do the same dates next year. I suspect it will be November/December before the dates are released. Two days on the bounce is always a good plan as you know what Spa weather can be like!

I'm looking to get my car for next April, have you got an eta for yours?

Cheers,
Stu

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:12 pm

phil4 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm And for anyone wondering how it sounds:

That's going to split opinions for sure but then again, so did the sc whine.

I'd rather have the sc over the dump valve but things move on and as an overall package, the 4 looks significantly improved over the 3.5.

I'm hoping that once I've seen it in the flesh and had a drive, it will have made the decision to change a good one!

Cheers,
Stu

Oli1122

Post by Oli1122 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:19 pm

speedmachine wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 pm Biggest question I have is if it will have an type approval for europe, as this will have enormous influence on the value of my car. I now own the only, or one of the very few factory original 3.5 supercharged with a legal license plate
I'm really curious how a approval in the rest of europe can be obtained. The safety and emission features that cars nowadays have to have are quite extensive.
If Ariel can pull this (100% legal and at that starting price) off... hats off to them.

But I'm also afraid about the value depreciation of the existing atoms.

Anon

Post by Anon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Oh yes!! just in time, my build slot is expected to be Aug/Sep - I will be getting a v4.0 I think!! :)

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Oli1122 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:19 pm
Each time Ariel have brought out a new version there has been this concern but it's never materialised.

The lead time is so long and availability generally poor that all of the older models seem to hold their value.

Even good Atom 2's seem to be £30k today and were only £35k new for a supercharged one back in 2006.

Cheers,
Stu

Winmoz

Post by Winmoz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Hmm, so I took delivery of my 3.5 in March knowing that the 4 would likely be debuted later in the year. My plan was to gradually upgrade to R spec. Now I’m thinking, should I drop a deposit down on a 4 and keep the 3.5 as standard (and one of the last NA AAs) before flipping it find the new car?

Anyone else wrestling with this?

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm

wasp wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:32 pm
Each time Ariel have brought out a new version there has been this concern but it's never materialised.

The lead time is so long and availability generally poor that all of the older models seem to hold their value.

Even good Atom 2's seem to be £30k today and were only £35k new for a supercharged one back in 2006.

Cheers,
Stu
You are right for uk cars, but my car is very rare because of the supercharger, I paid more for this 2013 21k km car than for a brand new atom 4, that was before I invested 12k on seats and supercharger...so I’m quite sure if someone can order a brand new one for 15k less than my 2013 car, they will or at least make me get my price down.

I’m pretty sure I would have ordered a new one if there would not be any registration problems. The license plate on my car are worth a lot as you see, that has probably gone now

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm

phil4 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm And for anyone wondering how it sounds:

Ah well sound...more important, a type r 2018 is able to get nearly 400hp for an afditional 700 euro, pretty curious how Ariel will or will not allow people to add this too

wasp

Post by wasp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:38 pm

speedmachine wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm
wasp wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Cheers,
Stu
You are right for uk cars, but my car is very rare because of the supercharger, I paid more for this 2013 21k km car than for a brand new atom 4, that was before I invested 12k on seats and supercharger...so I’m quite sure if someone can order a brand new one for 15k less than my 2013 car, they will or at least make me get my price down.

I’m pretty sure I would have ordered a new one if there would not be any registration problems. The license plate on my car are worth a lot as you see, that has probably gone now
I can see your point for European cars and it must be very frustrating.
In your favour I suppose is the fact that you have a brilliant, high revving supercharged Atom.
I will be getting a new one but I loved my supercharged Atom and really don't know if I will prefer it, even though I'm sure it will be 'better."
I'll always miss the supercharger on song.

Cheers,
Stu

cvjoint

Post by cvjoint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Winmoz wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:42 pm Hmm, so I took delivery of my 3.5 in March knowing that the 4 would likely be debuted later in the year. My plan was to gradually upgrade to R spec. Now I’m thinking, should I drop a deposit down on a 4 and keep the 3.5 as standard (and one of the last NA AAs) before flipping it find the new car?

Anyone else wrestling with this?
The best chassis as far as I can tell is the AA3 SRA/CUP, and the best engine pairing is the K24/K20 frank. So no AA4 for me, I'm going to keep developing the SRA as I think it has more potential.

However, I'm happy for Ariel that they were able to maintain the Honda collaboration. The Atom formula lives on undiluted! :vroom:

speedmachine

Post by speedmachine » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 am

I do think my engine is the best of all, I love the revs and I can’t inagone how fast one has to shift with 420nm and only 7k rpm...that being said, I love all the other goodies.

Does Ariel have a pricelist for the all new 4? So I know how much I’m gonna have to save? I think this is going to be a new car for me, but only if I can register it like a normal car

wasp

Post by wasp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:16 am

speedmachine wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 am
Does Ariel have a pricelist for the all new 4? So I know how much I’m gonna have to save? I think this is going to be a new car for me, but only if I can register it like a normal car
No, nothing yet.

I expect that they were flat out getting everything ready to show the car at he Festival of Speed.

There were more options indicated in the press release: wheels, brakes, suspension, wings etc but I haven't been sent a configurator yet. I'm hoping to see higher power models almost immediately as I was going to upgrade to a 3.5R but waited for the new model instead. I also can't believe that there won't be a sequential option given the huge torque and lower rev limit vs the old red top.

Cheers,
Stu
Last edited by wasp on Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:24 am

Apparently I’ve a 4 on order, I’m assured.

Having used the previous one 3 times on the track in 3 years, I’m not sure what the point would be, getting a 4. Especially as the Nomad is imminent.

#firstworldproblems

Cheers,
Hedge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlanP

Post by AlanP » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:08 am

When deciding to go ahead with 3.5R/Sadev vs waiting for the 4 I was assured a paddle shift/sequential would be available, but a cheaper one than the Sadev.

A